Friday 5 January 2018

More 'Australiana' in London - Matthew Flinders & Trim

Café Trim in Sydney is well-known to researchers who spend a lot of time in libraries, like me. My visits to the State Library of New South Wales and Mitchell Library complex have usually included a coffee and a bite to eat at Café Trim, on the ground floor between both buildings. Named after Matthew Flinders' cat, Trim, the venue and the affection held for its name implies that the cat is almost more famous in Sydney than Flinders himself, the brilliant naval lieutenant, navigator and cartographer! Of course I exaggerate - a prominent statue of Matthew Flinders stands outside the Mitchell Library, which is the repository for his papers.

He was the first man to circumnavigate the continent of Australia in his trusty little H.M.S. Investigator, proving it to be one land mass. Trim was his faithful companion on the famous journey in 1801-1803 and during part of Flinders' subsequent detention by the French Governor of Mauritius, for more than six years, when Flinders called in en route to England. His achievements are well-acknowledged in other places in Australia, such as Flinders St in Melbourne, where there's another statue in his honour, and Flinders University and the Flinders Ranges in South Australia.

Beyond Australia I didn't expect to stumble across Matthew Flinders and his cat. Yet on a recent trip to London, outside Euston Station, I discovered a wonderful sculpture memorialising both of them in a very striking way. It's apparently a copy of a newly-unveiled sculpture at Port Lincoln in South Australia. I must say I admired the lean and agile depiction of this admirable naval officer. Afterwards I wondered at the strange coincidence that once again on this trip to the UK I had been unexpectedly Bumping into Joseph Banks. Like Banks, Flinders was a son of Lincolnshire and his naval expedition around Australia was championed by Banks, who was with Captain Cook when the east coast of Australia was 'discovered' by the British in 1770. George Bass, who with Flinders in 1798 proved the existence of Bass Strait, was also a son of Lincolnshire. What that English county has done for Australia!

My first visit to Euston Station happened to be at night. With people watching me suspiciously, I lurked nearby until various partakers of fast food meals stood up from their comfortable seat beside Trim and departed. Then I quickly deposited their left-behind rubbish in the bin so that I could take my photos. 
Trim and Matthew Flinders at night at Euston Station, London

Matthew Flinders (and Trim) at night at Euston Station, London

Next time I passed by it was daylight - and not so busy, or perhaps it was just colder. It was winter time, making the daylight shots pretty grey-toned, while at night the sheen of the lighting added gloss to the scene. I'm not sure which photos I prefer. 

Trim and Matthew Flinders in daytime at Euston Station, London

Matthew Flinders (and Trim) in daytime at Euston Station, London
Why is this statue located at Euston Station? Because Flinders was buried in the cemetery 'under' the station and because it was felt that the English needed to know more about this man, hitherto mostly unfamiliar to them. Read a Londoner's account of the history of this sculpture.

Here is more background about the life and achievements of Matthew Flinders.

Flinders first arrived in Sydney in September 1795 along with the incoming Governor, John Hunter, who already had a long association with Sydney, having been second-in-command to Arthur Phillip on the First Fleet of 1788.  Hunter had departed Sydney by the time my convict forebear Paul Bushell arrived with the infamous Second Fleet in June 1790, but after his return to Sydney in 1795 Hunter gained knowledge of upright citizen Paul Bushell and gave him special treatment. I know it's fanciful but, since Paul was living by Sydney Harbour in 1795, I like to imagine that Paul 'did but see Flinders passing by'.

No comments:

Post a Comment